Understanding the top marketing trends for the upcoming year can help you to best prepare your approach for engaging with your intended consumer audience. While some trends have come and gone in the past few years, 2017 is set to be the year that certain “oldies but goodies” receive makeovers and in doing so become especially relevant to marketers.
5 Marketing Trends To Join In 2017
- Interactive Content — Content has moved beyond simply being something that you read or view. The most popular content is now the type that you can interact with, such as Buzzfeed’s popular online quizzes that encourage the reader to actively interact rather than passively consume.
- Influencer Marketing — Thanks in part to Instagram, influencer marketing is an effective way for brands to sell their products to an audience that is not only social, but also actively seeks out peer reviews. In 2017 expect influencer marketing to continue to rise in popularity as people continue to trust the recommendations from “thought leaders,” which thus leads to increased purchases of influencer-endorsed brands and products.
- Mobile Video — Does your Facebook feed seem to be dominated by video? Are you like the majority of people who are more likely to watch a video than read an article word for word? If you answered yes to either question, then you are a contributing factor to the reason mobile videos are once again on the rise. In fact, recent studies show that mobile videos grew an unprecedented six times faster than desktop views during 2015. Experts predict that 2017 will be the year that we finally embrace mobile video.
- Short-lived content — Snapchat is a prime example of the beauty, and popularity, of short-lived content. The key to attracting a generation of Internet users and digital lovers with an attention span that is less than the average goldfish, is to create content that disappears after it has been viewed. This wildly popular concept of short-lived content could be the missing ingredient that many companies need to finally connect with both Millennials and Generation Z.
- Personalization — The tried and true marketing tactic of “personalization” is receiving a new look in 2017 as marketers are obtaining never before seen insights into consumer behavior. However it is important to note that the smarter the marketer becomes, the more the consumer expects to receive highly personalized content that is specifically curated to match their specific preferences and buying histories. If brands want to stay ahead of their competitors in 2017, then they need to create personalized messages that speak directly to their consumer audience on an individual level.
Whether you participate in all of the above marketing trends, or choose to only focus on one, make sure that you maintain a customer-centric approach in 2017. Finally, keep in mind that the most successful companies will be the ones who can make a customer feel as if they are “the only ones in the world” each and every time they interact.